Customize email templates
On This Page
Use these steps to edit a template or to add a template in one of the Okta-supported languages.
Note: Free trial editions of Okta can't create or send customized email templates.
- In the Admin Console, go to Settings and then Emails & SMS. The Email tab is selected by default.
- From the left pane, select the email template that you want to edit or for which you want to add a new translation. A text version of the default message appears.
- Click Edit to open the message in HTML.
- Make your edits, and then click Save. The default language version of your edited message appears in the Custom Email table.
- If your org supports additional languages, click Add Translation, and then select a language from the drop-down box.
- Make your edits, and then click Add Translation.
- Repeat steps 5 and 6 for additional languages.
When multiple translations have been added for a template, the translation provided in the default language appears at the top of the list. You can designate any added translation as the default language by selecting it from the Default Language drop-down box. Doing so reorders the list of added translations automatically. You can edit the templates through the pencil icon, but you can't delete the default language template.
It may be more convenient to copy and paste the HTML from the message body into a text editor, compose your custom translation, then copy and paste it back into the message body.
If you want to delete all custom translations and revert to the original Okta-provided template, click Reset to Default.
Email templates use common and unique Expression Language (EL) variables (opens new window). EL variables enable advanced customization and, when used in place of hard-coded URLs, can prevent potential broken links.
Note: This is an Early Access feature.
You can send yourself a test email to see how a custom email template looks and functions. This can help you validate macro attributes and translations in the customized template as well as see how the template renders in different email environments. This eliminates the need to create a real end-to-end workflow to test customization. The test email is sent to the primary email address of the admin that initiates the test email.
- Click the email icon to the right of the email template that you have customized. The Send test email dialog box appears and lists who the email is sent to and from what sender the email is coming from.
- Click Send test email.