Register an App in Okta
You can use either an existing OpenID Connect (OIDC) app integration or create a new one. The app integration consumes the response from the Identity Provider (IdP) after authentication and authorization. Users that sign in for the first time are created in Okta and are associated with this app integration.
- Sign in to your Okta organization with your administrator account.
- In the Admin Console, go to Applications > Applications.
Note: If you need Okta to only authenticate users and not to redirect them to a particular OpenID Connect client, then the Identity Provider (IdP) configuration is complete. Add routing rules (opens new window) to redirect users from the Okta Sign-In Page to the IdP.
If you want to add an existing OIDC app integration:
- Click Browse App Catalog.
- Enter the name of the app integration in the Search... text box
- On the catalog page for the app integration, click Add.
- Enter a label for your copy of this app integration. Click Done to add this to your org.
- On the Assignments tab, click Assign to assign the app integration to any user or group in your org. Click Done when the assignments are complete.
If you need to create a new OIDC app integration:
- Click Create App Integration.
- Select OIDC - OpenID Connect as the Sign-in method and choose the appropriate Application type to match your external application environment. Click Next.
- Enter a name for your new app integration.
- Add one or more Sign-in redirect URIs. This is where the user is sent to after they authenticate with the Identity Provider.
- Click Save.
- Click Edit to change the General Settings pane. In the Allowed grant types section, enable Implicit. Using the Implicit flow streamlines authentication by returning tokens without introducing additional steps. It allows you to get an ID token quickly, which makes it easy to test your configuration. Click Save to confirm your changes.
Note: The Authorization Code grant flow is also supported.
- On the Assignments tab, click Assign to assign the app integration to any user or group in your org. Click Done when the assignments are complete. For instructions on how to assign the app integration to individual users and groups, see the Assign app integrations (opens new window) topic in the Okta product documentation.
To get the client credentials for your app integration:
- On the General tab, copy the Client ID from the Client Credentials section. You need this ID to complete the Authorize URL in the next section.